CAMPING-CAR PARK AREA OF CHARNY-SUR-MEUSE, SOUS LE MOULIN
Camping Sous le Moulin 55100 CHARNY-SUR-MEUSE
1/01 - 31/03 : 9,90 €/24h
1/04 - 30/09 : 11,00 €/24h
1/10 - 31/12 : 9,90 €/24h
Parking 5h + services : 5,50 €
+ tourist tax : 1/01 - 31/12 : 0,55 €/nuit
Booking is closed
L'aire de Charny-sur-Meuse est actuellement fermée pour cause d'inondation partielle.
Open : All year round – 24h/24
- 8 km from Verdun Memorial and battle fields
- A peaceful natural environment by the River Meuse
- All shops and supermarkets 10 mins away, a bakery 5 mins walk from the site
GPS Coordinates : 49.211209° 5.365987°
THE STOPOVER SITE
Stopover in a 3 hectares of peaceful woodland, by the River Meuse, right next to the key sites of the 14-18 War
- 50 grass pitches, 20 of them stabilised with electricity
- By the River Meuse (fishing allowed), 8 km from Verdun Memorial and battle fields
- 10 minutes from Verdun, known as The World Capital of Peace, and the historical sites of the Great War
- All shops and supermarkets 10 minutes away, 5 minutes walk to the closest bakery
- 100 m from the green way which links Charny-sur-Meuse to Verdun
- A service area and draining zone
Charny-sur-Meuse is the ideal stopover for a combination of nature and historical visits. Rediscover Verdun and the vital monuments which keep national memory alive, from war time combats to reconciliation and peace !
Let yourself be guided along the "Champ de bataille" (battlefield) itinerary, with stop offs at the essential 14-18 sites : Fort Douaumont, Douaumont Ossuary and its Necropolis, the destroyed village of Fleury-devant-Douaumont, and other war ruins.
For an outing in nature, why not take a canoe / kayak down the River Meuse and enjoy the local wildlife? Or you could explore the green way by bicycle ! The route follows the towpath along the River Meuse, taking you through meandering countryside and past the locks : there are 27 km between the villages of Samogneux and Haudainville !
With its plentiful forests and plains, this is a destination which will delight those who enjoy quiet and nature, as well as those who love history !
Don't forget to sample the local speciality: the Verdun sugared almonds!
Stay a little longer, and you can visit Argonne (30 min), the Haute Chevauchée site, the Americain Cemetary in Romagne-sous-Montfaucon, or the Mound of Vauquois, an old hot spot for mine warfare.
- The Ossuary and Douaumont Fort
- The Trenche of the Bayonets
- Fort Vaux
- Verdun Memorial
- The green way which goes through Charny-sur-Meuse and links Samogneux to Haudenville
May : Verdun Venitian Carnival
June / July : "Des flammes...à la lumière" (From flames to light) Europe's biggest sound and light show about the 14-18 war (reserve in advance)